Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Slings and Arrows

I have been shot, electrocuted twice (once by landing on a third rail and another time by divine intervention), fed to crocodiles, abandoned in the desert, and blown up by exploding robot dog. All in a day's work for a choose-your-own-adventure hero. Come what may, I shall persevere, even if that means sliding my fingers between the pages as a crude method of saving my progress before choices.

So, once I had exhausted all the ways to shirk any sort of responsibility, I went to the airport, and the crazies came out: there were various unsavory characters both at Logan and Charles De Gaulle looking to stab me or hustle me into helicopters, cars, speedboats, on the way to Spain, Greece, Morocco, Senegal. A woman gave me a piece of ivory that was apparently some kind of signal that led me to another group of people looking to hustle me to a rug merchant, to a cafe, to the third rail of a subway track, into the path of an oncoming rocket.

And these jewels of Nabooti? What are they, anyway? Jewels that curse those who touch them? Jewels that choose their bearer and bestow upon him great power? A metaphor for the peaceful rulers of Nabooti? A metaphor for the beauty that is all around us in the world? Or a sweet, jewel-encrusted scimitar that flies into my hand because I am the chosen one?

Well, if you believe that the "canon" answer is whatever one is on the very last page of text, then it's the scimitar, which is awesome because it is some sweet fucking loot. In terms of material reward, this is the best ending, although there are some others that leave you with a warm fuzzy feeling about the good you've done for the world etc. etc.

To celebrate my ahievement, I have created and unlocked a New Game+ for The Jewels of Nabooti, in which I will create a new path through the book with the scimitar already in my possession. Mwuh ha ha!

(Quick walkthrough to obtain the scimitar, if you wish:
Agree to go on tomorrow's plane for Paris
Make excuses and refuse his help
Tell them there must be some mistake
Tell them about the jewels of Nabooti
Accept the offer of police protection
Accept the offer of a weapon
Skip the proposed meeting
Go with Peter and Raoul

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment